Food Now vs. Food Then

Helloooo...yes, I suck at maintaining a blog but today I actually have something to write about! :)

I was thinking today about how back when I was a student, food was just something to keep my stomach from growling loudly (much to my embarrassment) in class and to keep me going through the intense late night cramming sessions. Breakfast would consist of a granola bar that I'd stuff into my mouth while scribbling notes during the early morning classes, lunch would be a burger or wrap from the fast food truck on campus, and dinner would be occasionally some stir-fry dish (on a good day), or otherwise some bread, soup from the can, or even instant noodles if I was truly running short on time. Horrible, I know. Probably more than half of the items I consumed were exploding with calories. Not to mention, I would hardly snack - my housemate (a food lover) would bring me fruit every now and then because fruit was definitely not part of my diet either.

Mind you, not ALL of those habits have completely disappeared, but they are changing slowly. I find that with the amount of time I have free during my evenings now, I can spend more time on my cooking and begin to eat healthier. When I was grocery shopping today, I glanced at the items in my shopping bag - multi-grain bread, strawberries, extra lean beef, chicken, onions, tomatoes, green peppers, tofu, milk, extra lean low-fat deli meat (just to name a few)- and as silly as it sounds, I kind of felt proud. :D Even the very few packages of instant noodles I have in my cupboard are left untouched.

Now, to finally crack open that recipe book...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

don't worry, have a cupcake Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez