Expectations

I have a question. A very pressing one, for that matter.

Is it expected that when the eldest child becomes an adult and financially independent, he or she is to take care of the parents? Don't get me wrong, I love my parents and I know that they have given me a lot to help me get this far...and I would be more than happy to give back to them. However, lately I've been feeling a little guilt-tripped for making the move out here in order to pursue my career.

Back home, there weren't a lot of opportunities in the field I'm interested in and where I am now is basically the heart of the industry. But every time I mention my intentions of staying here longer to continue my professional growth, I get the impression that they had only expected this to be a "temporary" thing. I understand that they may miss me and I do miss them as well...but is it really a bad thing that I made the move here? Am I neglecting my responsibilities of taking care of them and giving back now that I am working? I feel like I can do that for them...but only to a certain extent. I don't know if I would be willing to sacrifice my career. Does that make me an irresponsible daughter?

I see friends around me who actually have given up going to their dream school or job in order to stay with their parents, and that is why I question if it is an expectation...or if they are just more kind-hearted than I am. =/

I just hope that one day I'll be able to find that right balance...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

don't worry, have a cupcake Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez